Social and legal justice innovator
Community Service and Engagement, Law and Justice, Science, Technology and Innovation
Kate is committed to social justice and universal access to high-quality legal assistance. Kate currently works with the legal charity Justice Connect leading the development of a digital innovation strategy, recognising the transformative potential of technology in delivering access to justice. In this role, Kate is leading the design and implementation of Justice Connect’s Legal Help Gateway project, funded by Google.org (https://www.justiceconnect.org.au/technology-innovation-close-justice-gap).
Kate has wide experience:
– as a lawyer in corporate and community legal contexts;
– as a legal adviser to and board member within the Australian social enterprise and not-for-profit sector;
– designing and delivering technology projects to improve service delivery, efficiency and innovation; and
– delivering social impact strategy and evaluation (including a Master’s Degree in Social Impact).
Kate spent 4.5 years managing an innovative national program at Justice Connect delivering legal help to hundreds of thousands of charities. Kate personally led the development of:
– the not-for-profit Law Information Hub (www.nfplaw.org.au) – twice shortlisted for the Australia and New Zealand Internet Awards (2014 and 2015), and
– a multimedia community legal education and self-help program (webinars, animated legal education videos, and a series of self-help automated legal web applications).
Prior to joining Justice Connect Kate practiced as a commercial lawyer at top tier law firm King and Wood Mallesons.
Kate has broad skills in stakeholder and project management, and a proven track record of attracting significant government and philanthropic funding (including a $1mil grant to roll-out programs developed nationally, and receiving a $250,000 technology grant through the Google Impact Challenge).
Kate is the Vice-President of YWCA Australia, and is helping to lead the merger of 10 YWCAs across Australia.
Kate is a board director of the mutual, APS Group Benefits.